The latest results of the Commission’s cooperation with the Council of Europe in the field of education are done through the programme ‘Democratic and Inclusive School Culture in Operation’ (DISCO), www.coe.int/en/web/education/
The 5th cycle of implementation of DISCO covered years 2018 and 2019. It was co-funded under Erasmus+ with a total budget of €1.15 million. It focused on two thematic priorities:
– digital citizenship education;
– building democratic and inclusive school culture by embedding the learning environment in the local community.
The two flagship projects were:
– ‘Digital resistance’: Its objective was to promote digital citizenship of pupils by supporting the development of digital skills and competences through inquiry-based learning methods and by using peer-education. As main output of the project, a digital handbook will be made available by the end of 2020 in the project website https://digi-res.eu/.
– ‘coLAB – a laboratory for new forms of collaboration’. Its focus was to create an entry point for refugees with professional experience and qualifications into work in higher education. The outcome of the project is summarized in the coLAB toolkit. https://www.colab-disco.com/
In addition, the following small projects were also financed:
Project 3 – School Practices for Democratic Culture in The Digital Era
Project 4 – M.I.C.R.O.N! Managing Issues of Controversy by Human Rights Education!
Project 5 – Learning How to Handle Controversial Issues in Schools and Other Education Settings: A Good Practice Guide
Project 6 – Safe and inclusive schools for all: together we can learn better
Project 7 – Managing controversy – evaluating the impact of a whole school approach
Project 8 – Education for democracy through digital tools and non-formal education
Project 9 – Digital teaching technologies as scaffolding tools in inclusive education
This leaflet and 3-minute video provide a good description of the 5th cycle of the DISCO programme: https://rm.coe.int/brochure-
For the 6th cycle (202O-2021), 3 projects are being financed:
– Resilience through Education for Democratic Citizenship;
– Embedding a Democratic Culture Dimension in Teacher Education Programmes;
– The Rights Understanding in Sport Toolkit.